Background

Monday, March 19, 2012

This one time I fell off the train

Like, not joking. As in, I actually did fall off the train.


So embarrassing I just wanted to die. Then the ambulance came and further mortification ensued.


Picture it, I was on the train to Palmy, all ready for drinks with my old workmates who I miss like crazy, branded up in my new work teeshirt (because let's be honest, I don't miss my old work that much). I didn't want anyone to steal the taxi I had called so I was hurrying, but I still found time to swap my flat shoes for heels (big mistake) before stepping off--------


And suddenly I'm in a collapsed heap on the ground, writhing in pain while people huddle around staring in horror at my right ankle which is suddenly triple the size it was when I started my descent, daintily clad in 4 inch black gold studded heels. 


I lost my balance, my right ankle twisted, I fell, somehow there is a graze on the top of my foot (?) from how I landed and I spent Friday night in hospital bawling my eyes out and blubbering about the Waitarere Forest Run. Like a baby I was, like a baby.


So it's really badly sprained. Super bad, the doc was impressed. I'm not.
After 8 hours sitting at work today my foot was like a balloon, I kid you not as soon as my toes stop the inflation starts. Totes foul to look at, unless you are my boy-workmate-#-1 in which case it is an excellent source of entertainment throughout the day. 


Poor boy-workmate-#-2 has to put up with me elevating my foot right next to him all day and I confess I got caught in the rain in my flat shoes (all my fat feet will fit) not long ago and as a result they stink. S-T-I-N-K. Nasty. 


On a more serious note, I'm devo about the run. I had actually been putting some effort into this and I was doing really well. I was also about to dip into the 80's on the scales and suspect this would have been the case had my foot not decided to surround itself in about a kilo of excess fluid.


Sigh.


I so don't want this week to become a write off but no exercise + mildly depressed about no exercise + open bar on wednesday with boy-workmates-#1&2 + girls weekend away in the lovely Hawkes Bay this weekend = dubious results at best. 


GRRR when will I ever get ahead!!!!! 


Although, while I was lying on the train platform shaking and teeth chattering (I went into shock, because I couldn't possibly be more lame) I overheard the train driver calling the ambulance and he described me as "early twenties". In that moment the pain stopped and the sun shone as I clutched at the hope that I might be imagining the beginning of wrinkles under my eyes. Then the teeth chattering and pain resumed and once more I felt awful.
Oh, and boyfriend was in the middle of dinner with my old workmates (ya know, the ones I was trying to show off my newly found big-city-awesome-job-coolness to) when I rang him, and just to make sure he understood what I said he repeated it loudly and slowly "YOU-FELL-OFF-THE-TRAIN?" in front of EVERYONE. Then my BGP (Best Guy Pal) went over it a bit more after BF had left, just for anyone who hadn't heard. Love that guy. As always, my total coolness is just outstanding.


Here's a pic from the Emergency Dept. I call the swelling in this pic about a 6/10 while 6pm today was a 10/10. Nasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment