Background

Friday, August 24, 2012

C25K - Initial Thoughts

So, as you may have guessed by my previous ramblings I am giving the Couch to Five Kilometres (C25K) programme a shot. 

For those of you unfamiliar, this is basically designed to get an extremely unfit person off the couch and running 5 kilometres or 30 mins without stopping within eight weeks. Eight weeks!


You can find it here.

So, yesterday I finished Week 2 Day 1. But it should be noted that many years ago when I was last at this weight I finished the programme so I do know it reasonably well. Here is my very amateur view on the programme:

I love it. 

Why?

- Week 1 is so easy that almost anyone can do it, so you feel like a winner from the get-go.
- The transitions between weeks have been carefully worked so that if you have finished the previous week your body will be ready for the challenge. 
- The programme will push you until you are at your limit but no further. You won't end up in a heap or vomiting, you'll just be exhausted and darn proud!
- There is LOADS of support out there in weight loss communities for this programme. Reddit has a great C25K page with like minded people sharing their adventures and best of all there are even smartphone applications and podcasts which will time your runs for you.
- Running is a daunting exercise to take up because it is HARD and people often try to do too much too soon and get frustrated, this slows the pace and gets results.

Thinking of doing it? Want some tips? No? Too bad I'm going to dish them out anyway.

  • I love Robert Ullrey's podcasts, he made them in around 2005 I think and they have always been the best way for me to do C25K, especially as my galaxy is a bit big to lug around on a run.
  • Don't be tempted to skip weeks. I have been almost sprinting my runs in week one because it is so easy, but remember this programme is not only building fitness, it is also conditioning your muscles and legs for running. Running is high impact and your body needs time to get used to it.
  • Don't be afraid to repeat a week. It's not a failure, this programme is a guideline not an absolute rule. Do what suits you and your level of fitness.
  • Run in any weather, up hills or down. If we all waited for the perfect conditions nothing would ever get done! (Fully stole that from a picture I saw today - judge me).
  • Have fun! I am loving the programme and I hope all C25K newbies do as well!

Tomorrow morning will be a hard slog, weather is gusty and cold with a chance of drizzle, and because I'm going from home it means a very steep uphill climb in the last 5 mins of running. Still excited!


1 comment:

  1. I think you are right. Running is far harder than it would seem to be. I took it up a couple years ago ( http://wisdomcouragepower.blogspot.ca/2011/07/running.html ) but not after nearly a year of cardio work to lose weight and be ready for it.

    ReplyDelete